This week in math, I learned about how using visual tools and manipulatives (such as Tangrams) allow the students in our classes to see how different people have different skills. Some people have a mind for visualization of concepts while others thrive using logical thought processes. Ideally, I think, it would be most beneficial to be able to offer the students a variety of modes of learning so that each student can access the learning in his or her own way. What's the balance between encouraging all students to try different methods and making sure they are satisfied with the learning experiences they are having?
Also, we talked about how journaling is a great way to assess student understanding in a pressure-free way. In this high-tech age, we can use blogs instead of journals so that students can keep their physical journals with them for reference at all times. Also, as teachers, we can subscribe to our student's blogs so that we know when they are updated. As we continue talking about different ways to assess students, I think it's so important to provide a multitude of opportunities for formative assessments so that we can successfully help all of our students learn.
Many people are still flustered by the idea of integrating math with other subjects. We've talked about this topic so many times that I'm thinking this concern is not going to be resolved until we start delving into teaching. Right now, I think that integrating subjects really is going to be smoother than we think. This is one of those theories that will probably pay-off in the long run (students will learn more) even though the evidence that it's working probably isn't clear up-front. I guess it's our job to be both daring and logical by collecting that evidence which shows that students are learning more through integrated methods. (Then, we can write one of those scholarly articles that will be read by all those in the profession!)
No comments:
Post a Comment