I love hearing how different people solve math problems! It always seems that no matter how many different ways you come up with to solve a problem, there are always other people who have figured it out using another method. In today's class, I learned that we need to build a supportive, patient classroom community so that all of our students are comfortable sharing their mathematical thinking.
I am still questioning the use of cards/randomness to call on students to share their ideas. I liked the way that this tool was used at the beginning of each activity, to break the ice, and then substituted with "does anyone have a different way of solving this?" so that we didn't see too many repeat answers. Nevertheless, even though our classroom environment is very supportive, there still seems to be nervousness when it comes to sharing our mathematical thinking with our classmates.
The activities that we did today were extremely engaging and inspired exploration and learning. This type of activity will be a great tool to use in our future math classrooms. The bonus is that these activities truly cover all of the state standards!
No comments:
Post a Comment